Skip to main content

Full text of "The Davis & Furber Machine Company and the men who made it, 1832-1908"

See other formats


, GIFT of 

J ROPERTV OF THE 



MEMORIAL HALL LIBRARY 3 1330 001 33 9211 




Andover, Mass. 



MEMORIAL HALL LIBRARY 

ANDOVER, MASS. 



This book may be kept for fourteen days. 
Overtime two cents a day. Books detained 
two weeks over the time will be sent for 
at the borrower's expense. 

Seven day fiction and other books in 
especial demand cannot be renewed or 
transferred. 

Books lost or damaged must be paid for. 

MMCO 





Date Due 




















. 


1 * 






-6F 


f 














% 
















































































































H B. McANOcC 



The 



Davis & Furber 

Machine Company 




1832 



1908 



■ right, 1908, 

by 

The Da\i> & Furbei Machine Companj 



IteM. 



Foreword 



> ^^^^" ; HE most potent factor 
■ ^ j in the success of a grow- 
^^^^X ,n S business is the char- 
acter of the men engaged in it. 
Although the scope of this 
book is confined to those who 
were during their lifetime 
members of the firm it should 
be borne in mind that the 
Company remembers with deep 
gratitude and with pride those 
scores of strong men who, 
through the years, have 
patiently given the best out of 
their lives for its advancement. 



The Davis & Furber Machine Co. 



QORTH ANDOVER, in Essex County, Mass., has an 
interesting history. Until 1855, when it was incorporated 
as a separate town, it was the North Parish of the famous 
town of Andover, founded in 1636, only sixteen years 
after the landing of the Pilgrims. The original settlement 
was called Cochichawick, the name Andover first appearing in 1644, 
and the town being incorporated in 1646. The settlers locating in 
what was later termed the North Parish, there erected their log cabins 
and built their church. Here, too, some of the Acadian exiles for a 
while found shelter and a dwelling place, and, tradition says that 
Evangeline herself at one time frequented the hills and streams near 
Lake Cochichawick. 

North Andover early became noted for the patriotism, the states- 
manship, the public spiritedness, and the enterprise of its citizens, 
among whom were Governor Bradstreet, Governor Phillips, and other 
Colonial dignitaries. It is not strange, then, that men of such parts 
made this town one of the pioneer manufacturing towns of the country. 
The demand for food could be met abundantly at their very doors. 
The problem presented by the demand for suitable clothing was more 
perplexing. The mother country for various reasons did not encourage 
the making of cloth on this side of the ocean. There was no money 
with which to buy clothing, no tools or machines for making cloth, 
and little or no knowledge of the art. The sturdy colonists of Andover 
were not long in solving this problem. Notwithstanding the opposition 
from across the ocean, crude spinning wheels and hand looms began 
to multiply in their homes. The town in 1787 made an appeal 
"to the good sense and virtuous disposition of the female sc\. 
to the younger as well as to the elder, that they would, by 
their engaging example, economy, and simplicity in dress, giving 
preference to that clothing which is produced from our flocks 
and from our own fields, encourage home 
industries." From this small beginning they 
speedily became masters of the art of 
making cloth. 

In Andover this development early 
took definite form ; by the year 1690, the 
town had fulling mills to finish the product 
of their looms, and during the Revolution- 
ary War they furnished the soldiers good 
serviceable cloth. It was in the year 1802, 



58236 





however, that the North Parish could first really boast of a woolen mill, 
and they had good grounds for feeling elated since this was one of the 
first complete woolen mills in the country. In that year James 
Scholfield, one of the Scholfield brothers, famous in the hist or} of 
woolen manufacture, set up one of his brother Arthur's " improved 
carding machines," and carried on the business of making fine woolen 
goods, in a small wooden building on Cochichawick brook. The 
Davis & Furber Machine Company still have in their possession the 
first carding machine ever put together and operated in America. 
This machine, said to have been partially smuggled over from England 
and completed in Newburyport, was without doubt the work of the 
Scholfield brothers, who managed the North Parish woolen mill in 
1802. In October, 1813, James Scholfield was engaged to manage 
the mills then being erected by Capt. Nathaniel Stevens further up the 
stream. The business thus founded by Capt. Nathaniel Stevens 
was the beginning of the present large firm of M. T. Stevens & Sons 
Company, which owns and manages, besides the mills at North 
Andover, mills at Haverhill, Franklin, Andover, and other places. 
The mills at Andover were built by Abraham Marland who, coming 
from Ipswich in 1807, was in 1810 selling the cloth he had manufac- 
tured at his mill. The Scholfield Brothers' mill passed through several 
hands, and in 1826 came into the possession of Mr. William Sutton 
of Danvers, and has since remained in the Sutton family, being now- 
managed by Mr. William Sutton of North Andover. Thus it is clear 
that the North Parish was one of the pioneer mill towns of the 
country. The inventive genius called forth by these changes slowly 
but surely developed a class of skilled laborers and mechanics. 

From the manufacture of goods it was but a step to the con- 
struction of the necessary machinery. In 1824, John Smith, the 
founder of the present firm of Smith & Dove, in partnership with two 
others, built a shop for making cotton mill machinery. This shop, 
72 x 37', a large building for those days, was successfully 
carried on until about 1836, when, owing to the death 
of two of the partners, it was given up, and Mr. 
Smith, together with his brother Peter and John 
Dove, turned his energy to the working of flax. 
The manufacture of woolen machinery origi- 
nated in Andover in 1832. Jonathan Sawyer of 
Harvard, and Russell Phelps of Sutton, machin- 
ists, came from a shop in Worcester, and 
began the manufacture of machinery for 
woolen mills, under the patronage of Mr. 
Abraham Marland in the basement of his 




mill. Sawyer, Phelps c\ Company, as the new concern was called, 
bent all their energies to the manufacture of Cards and Spinning Jacks. 
The carding machines, as can easih be imagined, were nothing like 
the massive constructions now in use. The) were made of wood and 
patterned after the " improved carding machine " which had been 
made b) Arthur Scholfield. The Jacks for spinning wool by p 
were developed by Russell Phelps himself, and were probably modeled 
after the English spinning machine of Crompton, which was first 
completed in 1779. The Crompton machine was in turn a combina- 
tion of the Hargreaves Jenny and the Arkw right Spinning Frame. It 
is to be inferred that the business as conducted by Sawyer, Phelps \ 
Company, was not particularly successful, as in 1834 they sold out to 
three of their employees, Charles Barnes, George H. Gilbert, and 
Parker Richardson, who continued the business under the firm name 
of Barnes, Gilbert & Company. Mr. Barnes retired from the firm 
October 1, 1835, and associated himself with Mr. John Marland in the 
manufacturing of flannels at Ballard Vale in the town of Andover. 

The succeeding firm of Gilbert & Richardson continued business 
in what was called "The Paper Mill" in Andover, until in October, 
1836, they moved to the North Parish. Here they purchased from 
Isaac Osgood the saw 7 and grist mill on Cochichawick brook together 
with the water power, and also some land from Moody Bridges on the 
opposite side of the road, erected a machine shop, and moved their 
tools and patterns over from South Andover. This new shop, of 
which the owners must have been justly proud, was a two-story, 
pitched roof affair, insignificant indeed when compared with the 
immense plant now covering the same site ; but it answered their 
purposes well, and transformed this rather new and unsettled country 
into a busy community. Their chief business still continued to be 
the building of woolen machinery. 

In the early days when railroads were just beginning to appear, 
when steam engines had not reached their present economical basis, 
and when as a result the principal factor in locating a factory was the 
water power at hand, the enlargement and growth of such a 
business was limited to an extent that it is hard for us to 
realize, accustomed as we are to rapid anil easy trans 
portation. Up to the year 1836, the machinery 
had to be teamed to Wilmington. This 
distance was shortened five miles in 1836, 
when the Boston & Portland, now part of 

the Boston & Maine Railroad Company, 

built their tracks from Wilmington to 
Andover, which was but four miles from 




Gilbert & Richardson's North Parish establishment. In 1840, how- 
ever, the road extended through the North Parish to Exeter, N. H., 
and in 1843 machinery could be shipped direct to Portland. From that 
time on business extension was much simplified. 

In January, 1838, Mr. Charles Barnes once more entered the firm, 
changing its name to Barnes, Gilbert & Richardson. These partners 
continued with a slowly increasing business, for mills in those days 
were not numerous, until about April, 1841, when, owing to some 
dissatisfaction or to gloomy business prospects, the firm was dissolved 
and the entire property sold at auction. It was bid in by Mr. Charles 
Barnes for $30,000, but because he was unable to pay the money, it 
was put up again. This time it was sold to Mr. Isaac Osgood, from 
whom the original saw and grist mill had been bought, for $25,000. 
It seemed then as if the woolen machinery business in this locality 
was at an end. 

This, however, was not to be. Six years before, in 1835, George 
L. Davis, then a young man, nineteen years of age, had left his 
father's farm in Oxford, Mass., and come to Andover, to learn the 
machinist's trade with Gilbert & Richardson. This young man appre- 
ciated the possibilities of the business. Accordingly, after the second 
sale of the shop, and after talking the matter over with his uncle, Mr. 
Gilbert, he rented the plant from Mr. Osgood for five years The 
firm thus established was composed of George H. Gilbert, Benjamin 
W. Gleason, and George L. Davis (then twenty-five years old), under 
the name of Gilbert, Gleason & Davis. This new firm continued 
together for five years until October 1, 1846. Mr. Gilbert then sold 
out his interest to his partners, removed to Ware, Mass., and with 
Charles Stevens began the manufacturing of flannels, and became one 
of the most influential and wealthy manufacturers of the state. On his 
death, in 1869, he left to his sons a well organized business which they 
have enlarged and carried on with great ability. 

After the retirement of Mr. Gilbert, Gleason & Davis continued" 

the business until July 1, 1848, when Mr. Gleason, being in poor 

health, sold one-half of his interest to Charles Furber, and commenced 

the manufacture of flannels at Rock Bottom, later called 

Gleasondale, Mass. The firm of Gleason, Davis & 

Furber continued operations until October 1, 1851, 

when Mr. Gleason sold out his remaining interest 

to his partners, and the firm name was changed 

to Davis & Furber, a title which it kept until 

January 1, 1883. Then the Davis & Furber 

Machine Company was incorporated under 

the laws of Massachusetts, with a 



capital stock of $401), 000, with George L. I)a\is as treasurer. Mr. 
Gleasoil after leaving the firm devoted himself entirelv to his mills 
at Rock Bottom, and built up the large business now carried on b\ 
his son, A. I). Gleason. 

Davis & Furber were from the beginning successful. In 1853 
they were able to buy from the estate of Isaac Osgood the land, water 
power and buildings, for which they had up to this time been paying 
rent. Thus firmly established, with the increase of their business their 
enlargement was rapid. In 1857 they raised their building one story, 
changing from a pitched to a gravel roof. 

On June 19th of that year the firm met with a great loss in the 
death of Charles Furber, but thirty-nine years old, in the full vigor of 
life. It was a severe blow. Mr. Davis, the surviving partner, pur- 
chased of the estate the entire interest of Mr. Furber, continuing the 
business alone for six months, until on January 1, 1858, he took in as 
partners John A. Wiley and Daniel T. Gage. Mr. Gage remained but 
a short time, selling out January 1, 1860, to Mr. Davis ami Mr. Wiley, 
and beginning the manufacture of woolen machinery in Philadelphia, 
under the name of Furbush & Gage. January 1, 1861, the firm took 
into partnership Joseph M. Stone, a practical machine maker from the 
Manchester Locomotive Works of New Hampshire. Mr. Davis, Mr. 
Wiley, and Mr. Stone remained for many years the principal owners, 
taking into partnership with them on January 1, 1868, George G. Davis, 
Joseph H. Stone, and James H. Davis, sons of the members of the 
firm. From time to time since then new members have been taken 
into the Company. A complete list of all partners past and present is 
given on page 16. 

The castings to supply the machine shop were bought from out- 
side foundries up to the year 1863. In the early days they came from 
South Newmarket, N. H., and later from the foundry of E. Davis & 
Son, situated just west of the shop. But in 1863 the firm erected its 
own foundry on the present site and has ever since done its 
own moulding. E. Davis & Son at that time moved to 
Lawrence, where the business is still carried on as 
The Davis Foundry Company. 

The Davis & Furber Machine Company occupy 
the same site and utilize the same water power on 
Cochichawick brook in North Andoverthat was 
first bought by Gilbert & Richardson in 1836. 
Instead of one small, two-story, pitched 
roof building, containing but few tools, 
there are now ten commodious shops, with a 
floor room of eight or nine acres, filled wit h 




modern machinery of the most improved type. The entire plant, 
including cottages, tenements, and storehouses, occupies about seventy 
acres. And instead of making Cards and Jacks only, this corporation 
now builds nearly every kind of machine used in the manufacture of 
woolen goods, as well as Nappers, Card Clothing, Shafting, Hangers, 
Pulleys, etc.; and is and has been for several years the largest manufac- 
turer of this class of machinery in the United States, probably building 
more woolen cards and mules each year than any other concern in 
the world. 

In its long and successful career, the Davis & Furber Machine 
Company has built machinery for almost every state in the Union 
which has a woolen mill, for Canada, Mexico, the West Indies, South 
America, and even some parts of Europe. To accomplish this has 
required the energy, ability, and experience of several men of character 
whose names are a credit to their country. Of the two pioneers in 
this enterprise, Jonathan Sawyer and Russell Phelps, there are few 
records left. Although the real prosperity of the firm began after it 
was known as Davis & Furber, yet before that time the members of 
the firm were all strong, determined men, well worthy of the place 
thev made for themselves. 



A Few Notes of Merely Local Interest 



x 



N 1889, the original shop built in 1836, was moved to the 
location shown on the plan, in order to make room for 
number six brick shop. It is still in use as a storehouse. 
The office has been moved several times. It was at 
one time over the general store of Stephen H. Parker. 
From there it was transferred to a small two-story building next 
to the original shop. Again it was moved in 1865 to the front 
part of the wooden card clothing building then just completed, 
and finally in 1887, it was moved to the present office building. 
Stephen H. Parker's general store stood 
about thirty feet back from the road where 
the first wooden card clothing building 
now stands. After the office moved out 
the second story was taken by the Webster 
Associates, a flourishing ante-bellum debat- 
ing society. In 1864, the building was 
moved to East Water street, where it 
stood until it was torn down about 1900. 
The small two-story office building 




spoken of above was moved across the road and attached to the original 
shop. While the upper storj was used as an office the lower story 

served for the tin shop and the spindle straightening. In 1889, this 
building was sold and moved to Ma\ street near the North Andover 
depot, where it is to-day used as a duelling house. 

The original grist mill of Isaac ( )sgood stood right next to the 
present dam of the Davis & Furber mill pond. The original sawmill 
stood a little way to the southwest of the grist mill, approximately 
on the site of the first brick shop on Water street, shown on the plan 
as number three machine shop. These were both torn down in 
1860, to make way for the brick shop then being built. 

It is interesting to note that the Cards first made by the Company 
were not arranged to put the roping on spools ready for the Jacks, but 
had sheet doffers and dropped the stock down under the Card in 
11 rolls" the length of the doffer, which were taken out by a boy and 
pieced together by hand ready for the " billy," or some similar machine, 
to draw them down into roping fine enough to spin. 

The "Brick Shop" was built in 1860, when the war fever v. 
its height. North Andover was among the first to organize a militia 
company, and the upper part of this new shop, having no posts, proved 
a fine drill hall. Under Samuel Oliver, son of General H. K. Oliver, 
this company, electing " Phon Stoddard as their captain, drilled 
assiduously. It was a great disappointment when the first quota of 
75,000 men was completed without their being called out. The spirit 
of patriotism, however, was so strong that, according to Mr. W. W . 
Chickering, now superintendent of the Mule Department. " Nearly 
even mother's son of them enlisted in some one of the various Massa- 
chusetts regiments, principally the 11th. 12th, and 19th," including 
young Chickering himself, then but seventeen years old. 






size 




STORIES 


i\ mi i 


MATERIAL 


•) 


LOO x l't 


Wood 


■) 


30 x 40 


Wood 



Table Showing the Date of Erection and Size of the 

Principal Buildings 

i) \ 1 1 

BUILT NAME 

1836 Original Shop 

1854 Addition of 30' to above 

1857 Whole building raised one story 

1860 Brick Shop on Elm Street, including Black- 
smith Shop 

1863 Two Stories added to the Blacksmith Shop 
L863 Foundry 

1864 Wooden Card Clothing Building 
1872 Above doubled in size 

1881 Brick Shop on Water Street 

1882 Forge Shop 

1886 64' addition to shop of 1881 

1887 Office and Card Clothing Building 

1889 No. 6 Shop, Elm Street 

1890 Pattern House 
1899 Iron and Steel Forge Shop Extension 

1901 80' addition to shop of 1881 

1902 !»•;' addition to shop of 1881 
1907 Case Hardening Plant 

Increased by small additions to about 166 \ 160 approximately in L907 

In the above table no mention is made of the various storehouses for 

lumber, etc., or of the barns and different minor buildings. 



4 


156 x 50 


Brick 
Brick 


1 


166 x 72 * 


Wood 


4 


LOO x 50 


Wood 


4 


100 x 50 


Wood 


3 


202 x 50 


Brick 


1 


146 x 44 


Wood 


3 


64 x 50 


Brick 


2 


320 x 54 


Brick 


3 


142 x 40 


Brick 


3 


202 x 40 


Brick 


1 


144 x 44 


Wood 


3 


80 \ 50 


Brick 


3 


96 x 50 


Brick 


1 


68 x 28 


Brick 





Charles Barnes 



GHARLES BARNES was born December 14. 1806, at 
Dudley, Mass., and died at North Andover. Mass., Decem- 
ber 21, 1888. In his early days he learned the cabinet 
maker's trade in a shop near home. About 1833 he 
entered the employ of Sawyer, Phelps & Company in their 
Andover shop, working for them until 1834, when he and Mr. Gilbert 
and Mr. Richardson, bought out their employers and formed the firm 
of Barnes, Gilbert «\ Company. From 1835 to 1838, Mr. Barnes 
left the firm and associating himself with Mr. John Marland. started 
the now prosperous Ballard Vale Mills Company. But in 1838 he 
once more took up the machinery business in North Andover, under 
the name Barnes, Gilbert & Richardson. He married about this time 
Mary, daughter of Moses Foster of the North Parish. Here he con- 
tinued until in 1841 he left the firm for good and once more went to 
Ballard Vale. In 1842. as agent of the Ballard Vale Company, he 
went to England to buy worsted machinery, which the Company in- 
stalled and ran successfully. In 1853 their worsted machinery was trans- 
ferred to the Pacific Mills in Lawrence. 

Mr. Barnes and a Mr. Mansur in 1845 bought of Mr. John Mar- 
land, of Andover, a mill in Clapville, now Rochdale, Mass. Mr. 
Barnes stayed here until some time after 1856. The mills suffered 
by fire more than once during this time and changes in management 
were frequent. In 1846 Reuben S. Denny bought the Mansur inter- 
est, and in 1850 the Barnes interest. In 1856 Fben S. Dale of Boston 
bought the whole property. The present mills were probably built by 
Mr. Denny during the fifties. E. G. Carleton, who was appointed 
agent in 1856, continued in the business for nearly fifty years, establish- 
ing with one of the mills the present firm of K. G. Carleton & v 
The other mill passed through various hands, and is now owned b\ A. 
Howarth & Son. Leaving Rochdale, Mr. Barnes went to the Slater 
Woolen Co. of Webster, and then to the American Mills, 
Rockville. Conn. He later took up the silk business in 
Rockville. 

Mr. Barnes was considerate and honest, ever 
ready to help those who appealed to him for 
aid. " From early life an invalid, his indomit- 
able courage and will power enabled him to 
live a life of great industry and usefulness. 
He was an unpretentious, kindhearted gentle- 
man, highly esteemed and respected by all." 





George H. Gilbert 




EORGE H. GILBERT was born at Brooklyn, Conn., 
February 15, 1806, and died May 6, 1869. When twelve 
years of age he left his home to make his way alone in 
the world, going first to Pomfret, Conn., for six years, 
then to Sutton, Mass., where he learned the carpenter's 
trade. Leaving Sutton in 1827 he went to Worcester, working as 
a carpenter until 1832, and gaining a thorough knowledge of the 
business. In May of 1832, he moved to Andover, where for a short 
time he worked as a journeyman for Sawyer, Phelps & Company, 
until in January, 1834, he bought part of the business of his employers 
and formed the firm of Barnes, Gilbert & Company, which later 
became Gilbert 5c Richardson, and was moved in 1836 to the North 
Parish, subsequently named North Andover. About 1841 Mr. 
Gilbert, while still retaining his interest in the firm, moved to Ware, 
Mass., and there formed a co-partnership with Charles A. Stevens, son 
of Capt. Nathaniel Stevens of North Andover, under the name of 
Gilbert & Stevens, beginning the manufacture of fine flannels. In 
October 1846, Mr. Gilbert withdrew entirely from the firm of Gilbert, 
Gleason & Davis at North Andover, and gave his entire attention 
to that enterprise to which he devoted the remainder of his life, 
and which grew into the extensive industrial establishment which 
now bears his name. In 1851 he and Mr. Stevens divided the mill 
property and continued business independently. 

Mr. Gilbert was prominent in public life, being at times State 
Representative and Senator. While in the Senate he was Chairman 
of the Committee on Manufactures. At his death he left not only 
a large fortune, and an extensive business (the largest manufactory of 
fine flannels in the United States), but also a reputation for integrity 
and fidelity of which his descendants may well be proud. 




A Table Showing the Name and Members of the 
Firm at Different Dates 



FIRM NAME 


DATE 


MEMBERS 




Sawyer, Phelps & Co. 


1832-1834 


Jonathan Sawyer 
Russell Phelps 


1832-1834 


Barnes, Gilbert & Co. 


1834-1835 


Charles Barnes 


1834-1835 






George H. Gilbert 


1834-1846 






Parker Richardson 


1834-1841 


Gilbert & Richardson 


1835-1838 


George H. Gilbert 
Parker Richardson 




Barnes, Gilbert & 


1838-1841 


Charles Barnes 


1835-1841 


Richardson 




George H. Gilbert 
Parker Richardson 




Gilbert, Gleason & Davis 


1841-1846 


George H. Gilbert 








Benjamin W. Gleasor 


1 1841-1851 






George L. Davis 


1841-1891 


Gleason & Davis 


1846-1848 


Benjamin W. Gleasor 
George L. Davis 


i 


Gleason, Davis & Co. 


1848-1851 


Benjamin W. Gleason 






George L. Davis 








Charles Furber 


1848-1857 


Davis & Furber 


1851 


George L. Davis 




Incorporated under 




Charles Furber 




Massachusetts laws 




John A. Wiley 


1858-1905 


in 1883 as The 




Daniel T. Gage 


1858-1860 


D avi s & Furber 




Joseph M. Stone 


1861-1887 


Machine Co. 




George G. Davis 


1868 






Joseph H. Stone 


1868 






James H. Davis 


1868-1886 






George L. Wright 


1887 






Eben A. Baldwin 


1892-1898 






Oscar M. Godfrey 


1903 



George L. Hamilton 1903 




QARKER RICHARDSON was born August 13, 1804. 
in what is now Lawrence but at the time of his birth 
was a part of Andover and called the " Moose Country." 
In his young manhood days he learned the blacksmith's 
trade. He became a good all around workman, and par- 
ticularly noted for his skill in shoeing horses and oxen. 

He became a practical business man and was so recognized by Mr. 
Gilbert, his partner, for when the firm concluded to remove to North 
Andover it was Parker Richardson who arranged the contract for build- 
ing the first machine shop building, and superintended its construction. 

But for his early death, October 20, 1844, when but forty years 
old, he undoubtedly would have been far more widely known and suc- 
cessful. It is said of him that he was energetic, industrious, affable; 
and a man of excellent business judgment. He was of noble charac- 
ter, with lofty ideals, and a devoted Christian man. 

He was a public-spirited man, and his interest was not limited to 
building machinery but extended to church work and other activities. 
He bought land on Main Street in Andover, near the Shawsheen 
River, and built himself a brick homestead which is still standing. 
He also owned the brick store building in Frye Village. At one time 
he owned a grocery store in North Andover, located near what is now 
Main and Second Streets, and a nephew, James A. Roberts of 
Andover, was for a while clerk in his store. This 
young man afterwards became a successful leather 
merchant in Boston. 

His business associates deeply regretted the 
early death of Parker Richardson, for he was not 
only valued in his business dealings, but was 
greatly beloved by all who knew him. 




Benjamin Whitney Gleason 



m 





R. GLEASON was born at Petersham, Mass., ( )ctober 
12, L806, and died at Gleasondale, Mass., January L9, 
1884. He was descended in the seventh generation from 
Thomas Gleason, who was of Watertown, Mass., in 1640. 
Joseph Gleason, his father, died in 1808, when the subject 
of this sketch was but two years old. Benjamin was therefore de- 
pendent for his honorable career upon his native talent and great 
strength of character, together with such self discipline and culture as 
he was able to secure in a life characterized, especially in its first forty 
years, by repeated changes of business and location. 

When about fourteen years old he entered an establishment in his 
native town to learn the trade of cabinet making, and served through 
the whole term of his apprenticeship with great fidelity, gaining an 
expertness in the use of tools and a general acquaintance with 
mechanical operations which were of great value to him in his subse- 
quent life. Soon after reaching his majority he went to Grafton, 
Mass., and worked for a time in the woodworking department of a 
cotton mill. From Grafton he removed in 1833 to Worcester, work- 
ing as a journeyman in a machine shop. Leaving there in 1837, he 
entered the employ of Gilbert & Richardson at North Andover, being 
taken into partnership in 1841, under the style of Gilbert, Gleason & 
Davis, which later, on the retirement of Mr Gilbert, became Gleason 
cV Davis, and on the admission of Charles Furber, Gleason, Da 
Company, Mr. Gleason being in poor health retired from the active 
management of the business in 1848. Before long, however, he was 
at work again in the endeavor to place the insolvent Rock Bottom 
Company on a paying basis. In this, as in almost everything 
else he attempted he was successful, and laid the foundation 
of the large business now ably conducted by A. I). Gleason 
at (jleasondale. 

Mr. Gleason was self reliant, systematic, tireless. 
and of great executive ability. During the eleven years 
in which he was at North Andover, he manifested a 
deep interest in the village affairs and his earlv removal 
was greatly regretted. 

He served as Representative and State Sen- 
ator, and was sought after, to the end, as director 
and advisor in manv business interests. 





George Lucien Davis 



EORGE LUCIEN DAVIS was horn at Oxford. Mass., 

June* 17, 1816, the eldest son of Jonathan Davis and 

Betsey (Gilbert) Davis. He married October 27, 1841, 

Harriet K. Roberts, by whom he had twelve children, and 

died December 23, 1891, having passed his seventy-fifth 

His ancestor, William Davis, came from Wales about 1635, 

and settled in what is now Roxbury, Mass. William Davis's grandson, 

the great-great-grandfather of George L. Davis, in 1720, bought with 

two others 2,500 acres in Oxford, Mass., and there made his home. 

From then on the Davis family was prominent in state and town affairs. 

John Davis, George L. Davis's grandfather, was Major General of 

Militia and held important positions in his town and state. 

On his father's farm, George L. Davis spent his boyhood days 
gradually obtaining through the discipline of the farm labor, but more 
especially through the guidance and strict moral training and compan- 
ionship of noble Christian parents, his splendid vitality, sterling integrity, 
and large business capacity. He attended the district school during the 
winter and so apt a scholar and sensible a boy was he, that at the age 
of eighteen we find him teaching the village school in the neighboring 
town of Sutton, and being advised by the school committee of that 
town to remain at the school and adopt teaching as a profession. But 
deciding that he preferred a business career, he gave up his school and 
with his parents' consent left home in the spring of 1835, and came 
to Andover to learn the machinist's trade with Barnes, Gilbert c\: Co. 
From that time up to the day of his death his name w as 
associated and carried weight with this pioneer enterprise of 
building woolen machinery in New England. He was in fact 
the real founder of the present large corporation which bears 
his name. His sagacity guided the business through its infancy 
and growth to a successful standing. His care- 
ful management fostered the enterprise, en- 
larged its output of improved machinery , 
extended its business acquaintance and 
inspired confidence in its productions, until 
everywhere its machinery was recognized 
as the standard, and its name a sign of 
business integrity. 

But George L. Davis was more than 
a successful business man. He was 





emphatically a man of affairs, identified with the needs of his locality. 
In his lifetime he saw North Andover develop into a beautiful and 
thriving town with its free schools and Christian churches. He wit- 
nessed the birth of the well known city of Lawrence, watching and 
helping its growth. The numerous places of trust held by Mr. Davis, 
furnish evidence of the high regard in which he was held. Besides 
being at the head of the Davis & Furber Machine Company for so many 
years, he was for twenty-three years President of the Bay State National 
Bank of Lawrence, and also Vice-President of the Essex Savings Bank. 
He was President of the Lawrence Gas Company, Cabot Manufactur- 
ing Company of Brunswick, Maine, Norway Plains Company of 
Rochester, N. H., Winthrop Mills, Winthrop, Me., Lymansville Com- 
pany, Providence, R. I., and director in many more large corporations. 

In politics he was always a Republican, and his party, appreciating 
his ability and w T orth, sent him for four terms to the State Senate, and 
if he would have consented would have promoted him to Congress. 

" Mr. Davis not only showed business ability of a high order, but 
was also a man of unimpeachable character. At his death it was said, 
'The community has lost its best citizen,' and the truth of this state- 
ment is being realized more and more each year. His word was as 
good as his bond. He was a trusted man and every inch a Christian 
gentleman. He became a member of the Congregational Church in 
North Andover in May, 1852, and a deacon in 1857. A large 
contributor to religious charities, he was a consistent professing 
Christian, possessing a mind so well balanced and morally equipped 
that he fully understood his duty to God and to his fellow men. His 
honest heart was never charged with hypocrisy or meanness and his 
Christian example never criticised. Strong in his faith, he believed 
that while he was trying to serve God with a devoted heart, it was 
right for him to enjoy reasonably all that was given him. This made 
him a happy, agreeable companion, cheerful and contented, with an 
ever abiding love of God and an ever increasing faith that enabled him 
in his last conscious moments to repeat familiar and beloved verses 
of Scripture, and to go to his reward in peace." 

Mr. Furber's death when he was but thirty-nine years old, 

and in the midst of a successful career of great promise, 

left George L. Davis to carry on and build up the 

business. And to him more than to any other is 

due the credit of making the Davis & Furber 

Machine Company what it is to-day. 












Charles Furber 



GHARLES FURBER was a man of sterling character, a 
keen business man ami a delightful partner. He was a 
brother beloved by his associates and employees. An indi- 
cation of the high regard in which he was held is found in 
the following obituary published at the time of his death : 
Died in North Andover, June 18, 1857, of typhoid fever, 
Charles Furber, Esq., Representative to the General Court from this 
town, aged thirty-nine. On the announcement of his death, the entire 
village of his- residence was shrouded in sadness; business was at once 
suspended ; a Hag was hung at half mast and mourners were seen in 
the streets. Funeral obsequies were observed on Sabbath afternoon ; 
first at the dwelling house, where prayer was offered by Rev. Mr. 
Brayton of Lawrence, and members of his choir sung pieces both 
impressive and appropriate. The remains of the deceased were then 
followed by a long procession to the Unitarian Church in North 
Andover. Select portions of Scripture were read by Rev. Mr. Vinal, 
pastor of the church, who also offered fervent prayers remembering 
with affecting interest the widow, child, and all who suffered by the 
sad bereavement." 

" Rev. Mr. Brayton preached a solemn discourse from the text 
' The time is short,' closing with a just testimonial to the excellency 
of the character of his late parishioner, and proffering to the sorrow 
stricken widow expressions of sympathy and condolence. A vast con- 
course of people from the vicinity were assembled to pay the last 
tribute of respect to their late worthy and esteemed citizen, and 
exhibited their heartfelt grief by mingling with the afflicted ones the 
sympathizing tear. The following members of the Legislature w ere 
present to testify their regard for a member with whom they 
had so lately and so affectionately been associated, vi/.: 
— Messrs. Foster of Andover, Tenny of Groveland, 
Stickney of Georgetown, and Flanders of 
Lawrence." 

"In the prime of life, in the midst of 
usefulness, surrounded by everything that 
contributes to earthly happiness, has passed 
aw a\ one who has adorned every posi- 
tion it has fallen to his lot to occupj , 
and whose early demise leaves a chasm 
in our communitv it will be difficult to fill. 





Let his virtue be emulated and his sudden departure deeply impress us 
with the important lesson to ' so number our days that w e ma\ apply 
our hearts unto \\ isdom.' " 

" Mr. Furber was born in Nottingham, N. H., Februarj 14, 1818. 
At the age of seventeen he went to learn the carpenter's trade of a 
brother residing in Chester. After serving out his apprenticeship he 
came to Massachusetts and worked as a journeyman in Lynn, 
Met linen, ami Andover. He commenced work at the Machine Shop 
in North Andover, January 1, 1844; continued a shop hand about 
six months, then went out setting up machinery, and continued with 
Mosrs. Gilbert, Gleason and Davis until September, 1841). At the 
earnest solicitation of Samuel Lawrence, Esq., he then took charge of 
the Card Room of the Middlesex Corporation at Lowell, continued 
about a year in that position, when, at the request of the same gentle- 
man, he removed to Lawrence, and became Superintendent of Card 
Room No. 1, Hay State Corporation. On the first of July, 1848, he 
formed a co-partnership with George L. Davis, for the manufacture 
of woolen machinery in North Andover. Their business ever since 
that time has been profitable, and they were worthy of success. 
During the- whole period not a single unpleasant word passed between 
them, nor was there a difference of opinion even with regard to any of 
the details of their affairs. Similar pleasant relations always existed 
between employer and employee. He was an ingenious mechanic, and 
an enterprising, public-spirited man. At an early age his father died, 
leaving him in indigent circumstances; but by his indomitable perse- 
verance he acquired a competence, a striking illustration of what 
honesty, industry, and sterling integrity will accomplish." 

" He was married in December, 1845, to Miss Harriet Bradlej of 
North Andover. They have had two sons, the youngest died 
in March, 1856, at the age of twenty-two months; the eldest, 
in whom the hopes of his widowed mother are now concen- 
trated, is six years old. He has also left a mother, brother, ami 
sisters, all residing in Kentucky." 

11 The writer feels his incompetence to do 
justice to the memory of one so universally 
beloved, and possessing in such an 
eminent degree so main excellent traits 
of character ; but an acquaintance of a 
few months has ripened into an affection 
which time will not obliterate, ami which 
has prompted this tribute." 



"T 




BBS 





John Adams Wiley 



^ g^OHN ADAMS WILEY was horn in South Reading, now 

Wakefield, Mass., Februan 1, 1825, the son of Nathaniel 
(^ I and Lydia (Trull) Wiley. When fourteen years old he 

'^ J>* was apprenticed to Oliver Parker, a carriage builder, in 
^^^^ Woburn, graduating as a skilled workman after five years' 
service. During the first part of 1845 he was employed in Frye 
Village by the well known carriage building firm of W. & J. Poor. 
On ( )ctober 23, 1845, he began work for Gilbert, Gleason & Davis, 
and, his efficiency and faithfulness soon being appreciated, he was sent 
out on the road to install their machinery. This he continued to do 
until January 1, 1858, when he was taken into partnership. While 
traveling extensively in the United States and Canada setting up 
the productions of the company, and subsequently soliciting orders for 
machinery, he formed firm and lasting friendships among the mill 
owners, and few men of his time were better known by woolen 
manufacturers. 

He was a hard worker and his marked ability made him a prominent 
factor in the firm. He saw it grow from a small shop to a great plant 
with an international reputation, and to his unceasing effort no small 
share of its success is due. Mr. Wiley's knowledge of men and affairs 
covered a wide range, and his breadth of vision together with his 
accurate judgment made him a master of his business. His sincerity 
and simplicity were characteristic. Caring nothing for society even 
when he had risen to a position of influence and honor through his 
own ability, he remained plain and unassuming. 
Cordial, kind and forgiving, he loved to befriend 
in an unobtrusive way, and many were his benefac- 
tions. In politics he was an independent Democrat, 
and served his party in the State both in the House 
of Representatives and the Senate. 

Besides being President of the Davis & 
Furber Machine Company, he was at the 
time of his death a director in the Pacific 
National Hank and various other com- 
panies. He was a 32d degree Mason 
of the Scottish rites bodies of Lowell and 
Boston, and a member of several frater- 
nal organizations. 




Joseph Mason Stone 




<v JOSEPH MASON S 1( )\K was born in Grafton, Vermont, 

1 in 18^0; he died in North Andover, Februar) 17. 1887, 
(^ 1 aged 67 years. His father, a well-to-do fanner in Grafton, 

^^ J** after business reverses, moved to New Market, N. H., 
^^~^^ where he soon died, leaving his widow, this young son 
Joseph, and two daughters. After his father's death Joseph went to 
work in the mill of the New Market Manufacturing Company. Here 
his mechanical turn of mind soon caused the agent to transfer him to 
the repair shop where he made a name for himself as a painstaking, 
ambitious and skillful workman. 

In 1838 or 1839, he left New Market, and worked several months 
for Barnes, Gilbert & Richardson, and later he was engaged by John 
Smith of Frye Village, to assist him in making cotton and flax 
machinery. 

In 1846 he became head draughtsman for the Essex Companj of 
Lawrence, Mass., leaving there in 1850 to enter the employ of the 
Amoskeag Machine Shop of Manchester, N. H., where he took con- 
tracts by the job to build different kinds of machinery. It was here 
that he invented and built the first iron screw planer ever made. He 
also invented and brought out a radial arm attachment for the accurate 
shaping on an iron planer of curved surfaces. This latter attachment 
proved a most valuable device, especially in making locomotive 
" links." 

In 1858 he moved to Boston, and while working for the Hinckley 
Locomotive Works, built marine engines for two United States war- 
ships, the " Sasacus," and the " Narragansett." Here also he built 
the famous steam fire engine, " Rob Roy," which was far in 
advance of anything in its line. This machine, purchased by 
the city of Boston, was No. 1, and remained on duty in South 
Boston for many years until entirely worn out. 
In the latter part of 1859, he returned to the 
Manchester Locomotive Works at Man- 
chester, N. H., where his inventive skill 
was shown in many new and improved 
machines, prominent among which was 
the steam fire engine " Dearborn." 

It was in the fall of 181)0 that Mr. 
Stone made the final business change of 
his life and became a member of the firm 
of Davis c\: Furber. He brought with 




5SK 



him an extensive experience in designing, and immediately began i 
remodel the warping, spooling, and finishing machinery. Having dis- 
posed of this class of machines he next took up in order the picking, 
the weaving, and the carding machines. The all-roll-condensers that 
he designed were for years the best in the market, and even to this 
day are popular on certain kinds of work. He also took an active part 
in introducing the manufacture of the woolen mule, engaging the 
experts who originated the Davis & Furber type, thousands of which 
have been sold. He designed a new and improved type of cotton 
spinning frame, which was adopted and substantially copied by other 
large makers of cotton machinery. He organized and put in operation 
a large business in shafting, pulleys, hangers and couplings, inventing 
the hanger still being made by the company, and developing many 
special machine tools for making pulleys, couplings, etc. 

Throughout his life Mr. Stone was distinguished for his ambition 
and energy. While a bobbin boy in the cotton mill at New Market, 
he attended the night school, and later without a teacher, he took up 
and mastered all the intricacies of mechanical drawing ; his work in 
this respect being always distinguished by carefulness, finish, and 
marked originality. Those of his memoranda and drawings which 
have been preserved show conclusively the imprint of a master hand. 
Early in his life the maintenance of the family devolved upon the 
young man, a charge which he continued for years after he had a 
home of his own. After his ambition to forge ahead had taken him 
away from home the first hundred dollars he saved from his earnings 
he sent to his mother. 

He w T as a man of social nature ; his " beautiful bass voice " gave 
pleasure to many. In personal habits " an excellent example to his 
associates," from his early days he was a church member and 
his valuable aid and assistance are remembered by many clergy- 
men. A man of broad views, possessed of unusual taste, he 
had a singular faculty for improving everything he touched, 
and left the impression of his genius on the streets and public 
buildings of every town in which he lived. 
Mild and even tempered, a true and helpful 
friend, his passing left a permanently 
vacant place in the family and the circle 
of his acquaintance. 



H2? 




James Henry Davis 

*■ ^AMES HENR^ DAVIS, second son of George L. Davis, 

w as horn April 18, 1841), and died December 29, 188D. 
(^ The following account of his life was written at the 

^B Jf time of his death : 

^ ^ "Although not wholly unexpected, the intelligence 

of James H. Davis's death, which occurred at Salem, on Wednes- 
day, December 21), was received with marked manifestations of univer- 
sal sorrow about North Andover. At the extensive works of the Davis 
c\: Furber Machine Company, of which he was a member, and in 
charge of the card clothing department, the employees freely expressed 
their feelings of grief, for he was a great favorite on account of his 
kindness and consideration towards those under his charge." 

" Mr. Davis attended the public schools of his native place and 
also Phillips Academy, Andover, and the Military Academy at Wor- 
cester, finishing his education at Williston Academy. During vacations, 
when between sixteen and eighteen years old, he worked at the 
machinist business in the jack room, thus acquiring a practical knowl- 
edge of the trade. At the last named age he entered the counting 
room of the concern, remaining until 1880, when he succeeded his 
brother, George G., as superintendent of the card clothing department, 
one of the largest in the country. Since 1868 he has been one of the 
owners of the establishment. He had excellent business ability, a 
sagacious judgment, and was a most valuable member of the corpora- 
tion. Tall and of graceful bearing, big hearted, very charitable and 
hospitable, he has passed away, as one who knew him intimately said: 

without a stain on his noble character.' The poor will 
miss him greatly for he was one of their best friends." 





I 



Eben Augustus Baldwin 



0BEN 
16, 1 
Bald' 
P„ t „ 




AUGUSTUS BALDWIN, born in Salem. October 
1849, was the son of a Salem sea captain, Eben S. 
[win and Mary B. (Smith) Baldwin. He died at 
nam, Conn., December 22, 1898. 

n L865, when sixteen years old, having graduated 
from the Pickering Grammar School he came to Davis <$c Furber as an 
apprentice. With his natural aptitude for mechanical work he soon 
mastered the elements of the trade, and as soon as he could call 
himself a machinist, he went to Lockport, N. Y., where he obtained 
employment for a time. Here it was that evenings after work he 
continued his studies in drawing begun in Lawrence, which served 
him in such good stead in later years. Before long, however, he 
returned to Davis & Furber to assist Peter McGovern in his exper- 
imental work on the mule. From that time on he rose step by step 
until he was one of the partners in the business. His tirst important 
work for the Company was in remodeling and improving the mule, 
in the course of which he took out several important patents. He 
then took up work in the Card Department, improving the cards in his 
usual energetic and thorough manner. Before long his experience 
in nearly every department of the works made him invaluable to the 
firm, and as a natural result he was taken into partnership. Holding 
as he did the implicit confidence of his partners, knowing intimately 
all the details of each department, he was a power in the Company ; 
a man by whose death when but forty-nine years old, the Company 
and the community suffered a real loss. 

Mr. Baldwin was prominent in Masonic circles, being a member 
of Cochichawick Lodge, Mount Sinai Royal Arch Chapter, and Past 
Commander of Bethanv Commanderv No. 17 of Lawrence. 





MIS 



NO. AND OVER, MASS. 
NUMBER 8 VOLUME 






CHARLOTTE, N 
AUGUST, 1959 



C . 



"Continuous Tapes 



Mean 



Continuous Production" 



WALLISFORD MILLS SUPERINTENDENT EXPLAINS HIS STATEMENT 

Continuous Tapes for the Condenser is a definite step forward 
in Carding at Wallisford Mills, Kecne. New Hampshire, where con- 
tinuous production is a must. 



This is the beginning of a story 
told your D&F News Reporter 
when we cornered Mr. Herschel 
L. Cushman, Superintendent, 
and Harold Easter, Boss Carder, 
in their efficient and clean Eight- 
Card Room. 

At Wallisford you are impress- 
ed by the importance they attach 
to making every minute count. 
For example, the nine Davis & 
Furber Spinning Frames are lo- 
cated next to the Davis & Furber 
Cards. Harold Easter, Boss 
Carder) and Joseph Lopes, (Boss 
Spinner ) are each experienced in 



both fields and pitch in to help 
each other whenever necessary. 

Time Saving by using Atlas 
Continuous Tapes, however, is 
the subject of this review. 

A great variety of reworked 
stock, average 3-5/16 run, is pro- 
cessed, one lot following another. 
presenting a real challenge to 
tape longevity. This is just one 
reason why they prefer Atlas. 
Their list of reasons for using 
these Continuous Tapes is almost 
a duplicate of Advantages listed 
in the April issue of D&F News. 

(Continued on Pae;c Two) 



(Continued From Page One 

No Loss of Product ion — 






iitim iocs 



For example, with unusual 
wear introduced by a variety of 
stock containing unknown wool 
oils and emulsions, this Carding 

Room has found that they can 
change a Continuous Tape with- 
o u t interrupting production. 
That means without running 
stock out of condenser, without 
even losing an end. They don't 
have to take the spools off the 
Condenser. 

Total changing time required 
is 15 minutes for two men, vrs. 
four hours for three men chang- 
ing a set of Individual Tapes. 

Total Down time is no more 
than 5 minutes according to Su- 
perintendent Cushman. 

End to end tests taken during 
this operation show no loss in 
uniformity of quality - even in a 
synthetic blend which he has con- 
sidered one of the worse lots. 

For Improvements in End-to- 
End Uniformity, the mill now re- 
cords present weight variation 
plus and minus 2-J 2 ( < from a 
previous plus and minus 8 



r r 



Ninety-Five Percent of Roll 
Wraps and Tape Wind-ups have 

been eliminated; and even if and 
when this happens any tape 
st reteh that might occur could be 
quickly evened out and taken up 
bv the Tension Roll. 



The even tape tension resulting 
from the use of Continuous Tapes 
has improved their Web Cutting 

ability so that all lots can be suc- 
cessfully processed where pre- 
viously some could not. 

Wallisford Mills has shown 
that higher Card Speeds are 
practical by using Atlas Conti- 
nuous Tapes. They have been 
able to increase the Winding 
Frame Spool Drums, in some 
cases, from 38 R. P .M. to 44 
R. P. M. The resultant higher 
tape speeds does reduce the use- 
ful life of the Clipper Tape 
Hooks, but because with conti- 
nuous tapes there is usually only 
one set per card, changing it 
every two weeks or so is no pro- 
blem, claims Herschel L. Cush- 
man. 



M 


— ,^^-B 




Ii\lS 


W ilAl 


ItN 


j~ lW J mk I 1 


JjS 







R. II 

Harold E 






ATLAS Continuous Tapes 

ON ANY CARD CONDENSER 
User Advantages 

1. Improvement in End-to-End Uniformity. 

2. Reduction in ends down in spinning. 

3. Elimination of most Roll Wraps (Wind-ups). 

4. Elimination of tape stretch damage. 

5. Heavier tension possible for heavier work. 

6. Even end-to-end tension for successful carding 
in greater range of low grade stocks. 

7. Higher Production because higher tape speed practical 

8. Changing Tapes without stopping production. 



P. I. V. Variable Speed Drives . . . 

as described in the enclosed Link-Belt Ad Reprint 



is another example of 

Control of Quality and Production . . . 

designed into our D&F Model L 84" Woolen Card 

Check the green D&F News Model L Card Quick Review 

for application photos of other variable speed drives 

a) for Fancy Drives 

b) to control lay of laps on Center Draw Feed table 

c) to vary speed of Center Draw Feed Traversing Roll 

d) to control Web Tension between DofTer and Divider Rolls 

e) to adjust proper Dofft r spt t d for blend being run, 
independent of worker speed, without changing gears. 

f ) to control draft between aprons and spool drums on 
Condenser. 

g) to control density of roping on spools ( collectively or 
each bank separately). 



DAVIS Sc FURBER 

WOOLEN 

and 
WORSTED 

CARDING 
EQUIPMENT 

EXPERIENCED CARDERS 

•a) Each type of Cards available 

* b) Each section of a Card 

* c Each Accessory and Auxiliary Ef l ul P men ' 

* d! Each type of Supplies and the.r un.que advantages 

FOR BEGINNt 

In addition, Section One includes important information - 

* a) History of the company 

* b) What is a Carding Machine 

* c ) Figuring New Carding Needs 

WRITE FOR YOUR COPY 

or ask vour D&F man. 



REMINDER 

on our Electric Motor Sale 

U you didn't note, and act on the Motor Specification Sheet 
in last month's D&F News. 

■ <5 Dhase 10 H. P. or 15 H. P. Motor, investigate now 
If you can use a 5 phase iu n. , , , 1<M: 



CallR. A. Shellnutt, MUrdock /-/12b 



X